BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > Guide to Flexible Dieting
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-01-2013, 06:03 PM

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12947435

If I understand correctly, this study shows that Isomalto-Oligosaccharides, the fiber used in quest bars are actually easily digestible by humans. Could that pretty much mean that those bars contain way more carbs/calories than we think they do?
Unread 05-01-2013, 06:29 PM

That would be consistent with some of the observations with blood glucose spikes noted in one of the diabetic forums after eating quest bars.

Would need to dig deeper into the relation of hydrogen levels in breath measurement to carbohydrate levels, but it does seem this could be an issue.
Unread 05-01-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrunners View Post
That would be consistent with some of the observations with blood glucose spikes noted in one of the diabetic forums after eating quest bars.

Would need to dig deeper into the relation of hydrogen levels in breath measurement to carbohydrate levels, but it does seem this could be an issue.
Theoretically it could also mean that the fiber isn't being processed by gut bacteria as well, but considering the reports about blood sugar being spiked, I'd guess it just gets digested in the small intestine.
Unread 05-01-2013, 07:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pohc View Post
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12947435

If I understand correctly, this study shows that Isomalto-Oligosaccharides, the fiber used in quest bars are actually easily digestible by humans. Could that pretty much mean that those bars contain way more carbs/calories than we think they do?
If you do the calculations with the calories, then the "effective" carbohydrate amount is about 10g per bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrunners View Post

And no, the blood glucose crap has to do with the protein. Questbars use whey isolate, which is highly insulinogenic.
Unread 05-01-2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primalkid View Post
If you do the calculations with the calories, then the "effective" carbohydrate amount is about 10g per bar.

And no, the blood glucose crap has to do with the protein. Questbars use whey isolate, which is highly insulinogenic.
The diabetic group that reported the blood sugar spikes actually got the protein used in the bars (from the Quest guys themselves) and tried those separately, no such spikes were reported.

http://www.meandmydiabetes.com/2012/...bar-interview/
Quote:
Quest responded by asking the group to test the whey protein alone, guessing that this might be the culprit that makes some blood sugars rise. Overall, in this group of citizen scientists, blood sugars actually went down slightly after drinking water mixed with the whey protein alone.

Last edited by pohc : 05-01-2013 at 07:38 PM.
Unread 05-02-2013, 06:07 AM

Their analysis wasn't a scientific study, but was just a small case study that the members tried with the manufacturer of the Quest bars.

It was also odd that only some of the people actually saw blood glucose spikes after eating a Quest bar, other diabetics did not get any spike at all.

Either way, they are healthier than most protein bars on the market, that are often candy bars with protein added.

Probably not as low-carb as they market, but better than the alternatives. If the net carbs are actually around 10G per bar, this is not much different than some of the protein powders available on the market with similar total calorie levels.
Unread 05-02-2013, 03:01 PM

Perhaps the ability to digest that fiber varies among people. Theoretically if the 20g of fiber would be completely digestible, it would only add 40 calories to the bar, and put it at around 25g net carbs. Not a super big deal but it can add up and probably become a non-RFL friendly food.
Still, I agree that 20g protein for 210 calories isn't the end of the world, especially considering they taste like candy.
Unread 05-31-2013, 12:49 PM

Tried mixed berry bliss a few days ago and it is pretty good!
It has some strawberry taste in it, and also reminds a little of apple pie with the sweetness and all. You can feel some blueberry too and this one contains many whole pieces of almonds and even some whole blueberries.
Unread 06-04-2013, 10:01 AM

I bought a couple flavors of the VPX version and they aren't even in the same league as Quest. Not even close. I am now even more curious as to whether Quest meets label claims because the disparity is that great and the ingredient profiles don't seem all that different.

I tried some of the choco chip cookie dough Quest bars (available only at GNC or Quest's site) and they are the best protein bar I have ever ate and I would choose it over most plain ol candy bars. Just make sure you get some that haven't melted in transit because they aren't quite as good out of the wrapper (if you're nuking them, it is probably fine).
Unread 06-04-2013, 01:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onefiver View Post
I bought a couple flavors of the VPX version and they aren't even in the same league as Quest. Not even close. I am now even more curious as to whether Quest meets label claims because the disparity is that great and the ingredient profiles don't seem all that different.

I tried some of the choco chip cookie dough Quest bars (available only at GNC or Quest's site) and they are the best protein bar I have ever ate and I would choose it over most plain ol candy bars. Just make sure you get some that haven't melted in transit because they aren't quite as good out of the wrapper (if you're nuking them, it is probably fine).
Could be the manufacturing process? Coke and Pepsi use the same ingredients but taste vastly different. And ya, the cookie dough is a staple in my breakfast lol